The club purchased a balloon of 35,000 cubic foot capacity shortly after its founding, named appropriately enough "Boston", and maintained one of the same capacity until 1915. For a time, the club also owned the "Massachusetts" of 65,000 cubic foot capacity. The Aero Club so aroused the interest of New Englanders in the daring sport of ballooning that for a number of years more ascensions were made annually in Massachusetts under its auspices than were credited to all the other states combined!
The club was a leading participant in the first Harvard Boston Aero Meet held in September of 1910. Nationwide enthusiasm was mustered for this event, and competitors were attracted from abroad. Among these was a young Englishman, A.V. Roe, who later was knighted as the first Englishman to design, build and fly an airplane. He is perhaps best known for his construction of the AVRO bombers which did such effective work during World War II.
Aero Club of New England members have always been justifiably proud of contributions to aviation by one of our early presidents, Dr. Godfrey L. Cabot. An early member of the club, Dr. Cabot served as its president from 1915 to 1929. He was the first American president of the Federation Aeronautique Internationale serving from 1941 to 1946. From the days of the Wright brothers, he was one of those forward thinking individuals who saw the potential value of the airplane in warfare. It was through his efforts, and under his leadership, that in 1916, the Aero Club of New England had the great honor to present to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts her very first aircraft, a hydro aeroplane, built at Marblehead by Burgess Co. and Curtis.
Dr. Cabot, who was a friend of the Wrights, learned to fly a plane in 1915 at the age of 54 and soon became the proud possessor of his own aircraft. He won a commission as Ensign in the United States Navy and served in the Naval Anti Submarine patrol along the Atlantic coast during World War I.
His name is honored and perpetuated by the Godfrey L. Cabot Award, established by the Aero Club in 1952 and presented each year to an individual selected for outstanding contribution to the development of aviation.